Great Reasons to Recycle
Here at TiC we believe in START where you are…USE what you have….DO what you can….
All of the products are created by adults which are challenged with various impairments in the safe protective workshop environment with the Timeless Program @ DAPD.
There are a host of good reasons for recycling; While the central reason that it’s great for the environment is, of course, perfectly valid, there are plenty of specific reasons too.
- It can be an extremely enjoyable way to spend some spare time, on your own or with your family.
- While modern landfill sites are now created more safely than they once were, it’s crazy to send materials to landfill unnecessarily.
- Recycling reduces global warming and prevents unnecessary greenhouse gasses reaching the atmosphere.
- Recycling (and up / down-cycling) is good for wildlife; The damage done to ocean life by discarded plastic bottles, for example, is well documented.
- Recycling dramatically reduces energy use. For example, producing aluminum cans from “secondary production” uses 92% less energy than doing so from raw materials.
- New raw materials are generated from recycled products, providing a way to make new things without the further use of resources that may be finite.
- Reusing materials for new purposes can save a considerable amount of money. As this article shows, many useful items can be produced by re-purposing items that would otherwise have been thrown away.
- When more people become environmentally aware, demand for recycled products increases. This creates a self-perpetuating circle of demand that’s good for the industry and for the planet.
- Water pollution is reduced when recycling increases, as producing goods from recycled materials doesn’t pollute as much as using virgin raw materials.
- With an average family in the western world producing a ton of waste each year, recycling is one activity where just one family (or one person) can make a genuine difference.
TiC turns used items, like the cocoa bean bags of De Villiers Chocolate and old denim jeans into practical, functional, marketable items, so if you have any old jeans, old curtains, linen or upholstery material etc. that you would like to donate, please Contact Us to see if we can utilise them.